Taichung has 29 distinct districts.
The downtown area, which is known as the traditional Taichung City, is composed of eight districts (the traditional Taichung City):
1. Central (中區): This area encompasses the core downtown, Taichung Park and the train station.
2. North (北區): Science Museum, the Chungyo Department Store and the Chungshan Hall.
3. West (西區): Taichung City Hall, Sogo Department Store and the WuQuan Parkway.
4. East (東區): behind the train station includes Taichung Central Mall.
5. South (南區): mainly residential area’s main shopping attraction is a Geant hypermart.
6. Beitun (北屯區): This district ranges from on the far east the beautiful Daken scenic area to the more urban area surrounding the Taichung Folk Park. Also includes Morrison Academy.
7. Xitun (西屯區): In the north-east of this district is the Shuinan/ZhongQing bus stop area, and to the north-west the new science park as well as the Metropolitan Park – both on DaDu Mountain. Near the Metropolitan Park is Art Street and TungHai University. To the south-west is the Taichung Industrial park. Closer into the city and down the hill is the World Trade Center and the Sun Mall. Closer into town is ChaoMa bus stop area, Fengjia University and the nearby nightmarket, Mitsukoshi Dept. Store, Tiger City Mall and the Idee Shopping Center.
8. Nantun (南屯區): Parts of the Taichung Industrial Park, the Lakeside Shopping Street and the FengLe Sculpture park are all in this district.
Districts 9 and following are the old Taichung county which was merged into the city in December 2010 (they are listed from north to south and west to east.
9. Dajia (大甲區): Includes Zhen Lan (Jhen Lan, Jenn Lan) temple, Tiezhanshan (TieJhanshan) Scenic Area,
10. Daan (大安區): Daan Seaside Resort.
11. Qingshui (清水區): Includes Taichung County Seaport Art Center, the Wuqi (Wuci) SIghtseeing fish market, Gaomei wetlands, Dayang Fuel Depot, Qingshui Zi Yun Yen (Cingshui Tju/Zih Yun Yen) temples and the Taichung International (QingQuenGang ChingChuenGang) Airport.
12. Wuqi (梧棲區): Includes Wuqi (Wuci) Old Street, Taichung Port
13. Longjing (龍井區): Art Street
14. Dadu (大肚區): Includes Dadu Mountain, Old Huangxi (Huangsi) School.
15. Waipu (外埔區): Stone Park
16. Shalu (沙鹿區): Includes Taichung Metropolitan Park
17. Houli (後里區): Includes Houli Horse Field, Zhongshe (Jhongshe) Tourism Flower Market, Taian Railroad Cultural Park, Yamay Resort, Houli Saxophone House.
18. Shengang (柛岡區):
19. Daya (大雅區):
20. Wuri (烏日區): Includes High Speed Rail Station, Wuri (Wurih) Brewery.
21. Fengyuan (豐原區): Includes Museum of Weaving Handicrafts, Gonglaoping Scenic Area, Fengyuan Lacquer Art Museum.
22. Tanzi (潭子區): Includes Shitian Hiking Trails
23. Taiping (太平區): Includes Toubiankeng Bat Cave, Dog-Biting Cave Ecological Landscape Path
24. Dali (大裡區): Children’s Art Museum, Daliyi Old Street
25. Wufeng (霧峰區): Includes 921 Earthquake Museum, Wufeng Lin Garden, Taiwan Provincial Consultative Council Memorial Garden
26. Dengshi (東勢區): Includes Dongshi Forest Recreation Farm, Dongshi Hakka Cultural Park
27. Shigang (石岡區): Shigang Dam, Tuniu Hakka Cultural Museum
28. Xinshe (新社區): Xinshe Coffee Garden District, Baileng jun
29. Heping (和平區): Wuling Farm, Lishan Scenic Area, Fushoushan Farm, Guguan Hotsprings Scenic Area, Deji Reservior, Daxueshan Forest Recreation Area, Baixianshan Forest Recreation Area